Vice Dean for Research, Design School job with XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU)
School: design school
Position: Associate Dean for Research, School of Design
Location: Suzhou, China
Type of Contract : CDD, renewable. The 3rd contract is for an indefinite period
In 2006, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was established by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – one of the top ten universities in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practices and expertise from both institutions and equips students with the skills and knowledge they need to secure a career in a global market. XJTLU now has over 25,000 students enrolled in Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to reach around 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently around 2,000 staff, of which around 1,000 are academic staff, with an almost equal split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and holders of international passports. XJTLU offers our undergraduate and postgraduate students over 100 programs with a wide range of courses.
XJTLU is entering an exciting new phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of syntegrative education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new entrepreneurship education site in Taicang, a part of wider Suzhou, where the College of Entrepreneurs (Taicang) is located. . The Taicang site will be a precursor and educational model for the future campus to meet the challenges of the 4th industrial revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, continued development of the four new academies, and exploration of other potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching and research, XJTLU builds on the strengths of its parent universities and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for the UK and other institutional partners. At the same time, XJTLU explores future education by blending educational theory, best practices, and culture from West and East.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF DESIGN
Founded in 2020, the School of Design comprises the departments of Architecture, Civil Engineering, Industrial Design, and Urban Planning and Design. The School of Design merges, in a single setting, a diverse range of design subjects with varying forms and expressions in a multidisciplinary framework. Its vocation is to train the future generation of designers in a perspective of digital design and sustainable development and to become a melting pot of innovation and intellectual freedom in design education.
The School of Design at Xi’an Jiaotong University-Liverpool (XJTLU) aims to provide an international and interdisciplinary design education in China and beyond through an integrated knowledge of design, technology, engineering , humanities and arts. We envision changing and improving our society through design thinking for sustainable development that will shape the world of tomorrow.
The Associate Dean for Research is a member of the School of Design Management Team (DES-SMT) and works closely with the Dean to implement the school’s research strategy. Strategic leadership is fundamental to managing and directing the very diverse research conducted by the School in its various forms. The primary objective of the role is to build and foster a strong research culture within the School, with the quality of research becoming the main driver of reputation for the School of Design and its constituent departments. The Associate Dean for Research reports to the Dean of the School of Design.
- Lead the implementation of the School of Design’s research strategy, in consultation with DES-SMT members, as part of the School’s five-year strategic plan;
- Advise the DES-SMT on the allocation of funds for research activities;
- Contribute to engagement with appropriate networks, external industries, professional institutes, etc. ;
- Coordinate University events and research activities across all departments;
- Lead the organization and associated processes involved in academic research events and ensure the quality of these events;
- Manage the Academic Valorization Fund (AEF) and relevant research support mechanisms and advise the DES-SMT on resource allocation.
- Chair the design school’s research committee, responsible for coordinating and implementing the DES-SMT’s research strategy and policy;
- Represent the School of Design on the University Research Committee, and communicate and take action on critical items on the University Research Committee agenda to DES-SMT;
- Serve as a liaison between the school, the school’s research committee, and the university’s research committee for timely communication and implementation of research-related policies and procedures.
- Support the design school to develop, promote and carry out research and development activities;
- Develop an internal evaluation framework for internal and external grant applications;
- Maintain and revise school search parameters.
- Advise the DES-SMT on the recruitment and retention of academics with regard to their research capacities and potential;
- Liaise with other organizational units of the University to disseminate best practices identified within the School.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate:
- Significant achievements in research leadership and management;
- Autonomy and ability to work independently;
- The ability to develop and implement a strategic vision;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
We are looking for someone with the ambition, creativity and organizational skills to succeed in an exciting environment of continuous growth and significant change. Applicants must:
- Be educated at the doctoral level;
- Have at least three years of research experience at the university level;
- Have recent experience in project management in a research context; for example, having an exemplary publication record, receiving external funding, having successfully supervised doctoral students, etc.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese labor laws and must comply with provincial government regulations. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with respect to obtaining work permits and visas. Please note that applicants over the age of 65 may not be eligible for a work visa in the People’s Republic of China.
- Clear career path with annual review.
- Professional development training is provided.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary on the market, the associate dean of research is eligible to receive a duty allowance.
- Allowance: XJTLU provides various monthly/annual/one-time allowances according to
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Moving allowance
- Commercial Insurance: Customized international insurance plans for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to university policy)
- Paid vacation:
- Holidays (11 days)
- Annual leave (36 days)
- Family Matters
- Paid sick leave
- Paternity leave
- Parental leave
- Work visa and residence permit in China:
- XJTLU sponsors work visa and residence permit in China for staff.
HOW TO REGISTER
Please submit your application on the XJTLU career website:
In the subject line, write the position you are applying for and quote the position ID number for reference.
Applications should be submitted in a single pdf file including:
- A letter of motivation (expression of interest);
- An up-to-date CV, including a full list of publications;
- A research strategy proposal for the School of Design (maximum 2 pages).
Applications must be received by the closing date indicated above.
Informal inquiries regarding positions and the school can be directed to the Dean of the School of Design, Professor Konstantinos Papadikis at [email protected] Informal questions can be directed to HR at [email protected] Please include position and position ID (3009) in your application.